6 Keys to Maintaining Sexual Purity is Perhaps the greatest temptation that is known to humankind has been around since biblical times: lust… the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes.
But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed. Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death. (James 1:14-15)
Every Christian who claims to have read the Bible should be familiar with the story of young and handsome Joseph in the Book of Genesis 39:1-20. Potiphar’s wife persistently attempted to seduce Joseph. Understanding the consequences to his soul, he refused and fled out. He was falsely accused of rape and thus imprisoned, but God took care of him and rewarded him for his faithfulness and righteousness. In Joseph, we find a great model of sexual purity.
Maintaining Sexual Purity
Compared that to King David, who did not fare well in his battle with lust, as told in 2 Samuel 11, when he saw Bathsheba, the beautiful wife of Uriah the Hittite, bathing on a nearby roof. He allowed his sin of lust to turn into an active pursuit – the sin of adultery. This sin then led to another sin, which is the sin of murder. To cover up his sin of adultery, David had Uriah killed in battle. Thus, David did not only become an adulterer but also a murderer. Even though forgiven by God, he paid a horrible price for his sin.
Video Credit: Vlad Savchuk
What can you do to keep yourself pure in body and mind?
- Keep God’s law, most especially the Seventh Commandment (“Thou shalt not commit adultery.” Exodus 20:14). The Bible warns us against lust, even in our desires. Christ says in Matthew 5:28, “… I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart.” Anyone who gives in to their lust will suffer the prescribed punishment, as told in Leviticus 20:10: death. Pray that God gives you the strength to resist temptations and keep His law in your heart.
- Make a covenant with your body. Know that your body – all your parts from top to bottom – is in the temple of God (1 Corinthians 6:19-20). He created it good and precious from the start, just as He did with sex. Did lust just creep into your body? Recommit your body to God (Romans 12:1-2) and strive to honor Him by saving physical intimacy for your future spouse. You can start today by dressing modestly, avoid obscene entertainment, and rejecting all forms of sexual deviation.
- Avoid temptation. You should keep away from people, places, and situations that can stimulate impure thoughts. Run from sexual impurity (Colossians 3:5, 1 Corinthians 6:18, 2 Timothy 2:22). Eliminate the source of lust or anything that causes you to lust so you may avoid eternal damnation. Be ready to part with anything that causes you to sin (Matthew 5:29-30). Exercise self-restraint and control by bringing your body, mind, and emotions under God’s control.
Step by Step guide for Sexual Purity
- Respect the opposite sex. Treat the opposite sex with dignity, honor, and godliness (Ephesians 5:25-28). May your needs for sexual intimacy be met by your spouse alone. Whether you’re single or married, never look lustfully at another man or woman or a fellow man or woman. Above all, resist any sexual advances from another man or woman or a fellow man or woman.
- Foster healthy and positive relationships. Are you married? Strive to make your relationship with your spouse the best it can be. Pursue fun, healthy activities that could help strengthen the marriage. Are you single? Then seek opportunities to be around others in a wholesome, non-sexual environment.
- Save sex for marriage. Sex is a marvelous gift from God and it is to be honored only through marriage (Hebrews 13:4). God created sex as good and holy, and it is good and holy when enjoyed as God intended. Maintaining sexual purity is about honoring God and becoming pure in body, mind, and soul. Waiting until marriage is necessary for your commitment to God and, of course, a great marriage.